Workplace Mediation: Our impartial help
The workplace mediation is a great help to certain conflicts that may arise in the workplace. It is advisable, in these situations, to have a mediator between the team so that both parties can reach an agreement without having any type of external problem. But what exactly is it about? In this post we are going to tell you some of the most relevant data about mediation, the workplace mediator and their functions.
What is workplace mediation?
We can call “workplace mediation” a grouping of procedures to favor the settlement of a conflict between different parties. In this conflict, a neutral and impartial third party participates who will direct the situation to carry out a solution: the mediator.
- Advantages of workplace mediation. When a dispute appears in a company, on the one hand the staff and on the other the employer, mediation is an effective tool that can lead to a solution quickly. In the situation of a strike planned by the staff in which the company opposes, workplace mediation has the possibility of finding the resolution of the confrontation and will make them understand the unfavorable results that may be caused if they carry out said event.
- Disadvantages of workplace mediation. Among these, we find the possibility of reaching a more advantageous solution for one of the parties over the other. In addition, there are no established decisions, so certain parties can be directly influenced, such as violence at work.
What characterizes conflict mediation?
The measurement of conflict is a completely voluntary activity. It is established at the free request of those involved, not being mandatory to maintain the procedure. Its features include:
- Flexibility. It is accepted for both parties and the intermediary to agree on the rules of the procedure.
- It has no economic cost. That is, they accept a free approach to both the company and the worker.
- Decrease in social cost that includes declining relationships and negative outcomes that can lead to the problem. The damaged trust in work relationships, can lead to a reduction in the performance of the company.
- It unfolds in an environment with mutual respect.
- It encourages the collaboration of those interested in the search for resources and solutions.
What types of conflicts can you resolve with a mediator?
- Lies, gossip and negative behaviors. If we find a partner criticizing another or spreading rumors that are not true, an agreement should be made between them to avoid future conflicts.
- Sound problems (loud noises). If the participants do not have their own space and must share with the rest of the classmates. You have to avoid music that is not considered ambient to avoid problems with the rest.
- Tardiness. It should not be accepted that a colleague is usually late 10 minutes late, this can cause a labor conflict.
- Carrying out other tasks other than those corresponding to your job. Intervention if the employee spends his working day on social networks.
What is the job of the workplace mediator?
The person who mediates the matter, will be present in all negotiations, will have adequate contemplation for the collaboration to help the parties involved in the dispute to reach the various options for the dilemma. The first purpose is to reach a welcoming environment, so that both parties initiate future proposals and abandon the reproach of the past situation.
A mediator does not have to raise options. You simply have to use the tools already outlined so that those involved are the ones to start raising the dilemmas. Those involved must fix the situation.
The intermediary is a neutral and impartial assistant whose only goal is that those interested in the problem have knowledge of their protagonism, this means that the parties must take responsibility when reaching agreements. Therefore, it is essential that the intermediary is trained to reduce the pressures shown by the interested parties. If the level of confrontation is not moderated, the mediator may end the meeting.
The active listener by the mediation expert will help both the person who explains his practice, as well as the opposing party, because it will allow him to meditate on his behavior and position on the problem.
In summary, we can say that workplace mediation is shown as a highly recommended option to reach a solution to any conflict that may occur in the workplace.
This is based on a set of methods that favor the solution of a problem among those involved, in which an impartial third party intervenes to coordinate the problem and reach an agreement, ending the session with a solution.
Contact the experienced mediators and investigators at Human Kapital for expert advice and support.
You may also like to read other articles like: 5 tips for choosing the right bathroom tiles